January 25, 2006

Good Highs....

It's nice when I have times that make me all but forget that I'm diabetic. The past weekend was one of those times.

My boyfriend and I have been dating for two years now, and last weekend we went to a nearby ski resort to celebrate and do some skiing. Well, unfortunately mother nature didn't have skiing in mind for us - it rained most of the stinking day - however, we did have plenty to celebrate! On Saturday night, I had a wonderful "high" - my boyfriend asked me to marry him!!! I was completely and utterly shocked! I hadn't been expecting him to propose for a while because he just finished his bachelor's degree and had said he wanted to get settled in a career before we started making plans for a wedding. That same day I had been thinking about going on the pump (which will take place within the next month or so!!!), teaching my classes the following week, and losing weight (a constant battle). It's amazing how all of those thoughts vanished when he knelt down, looked me in the eyes, and tearfully asked me to marry him. I said yes, and I think it served a dual purpose - a word of consent and word of exclamation... Yes - there is life beyond diabetes... Yes - I can have a life and be a diabetic... Yes - I am lovable regardless of how ugly this disease can make me sometimes... YES!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Congratulations!! That's awesome :-)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Yay! Wedding! I love weddings! That's sooo cool. Woohoo!

7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, since i have known you so long am i in the wedding lol jk

11:06 PM  
Blogger Kassie said...

Congratulations!

I love weddings, big or small. Have fun with yours!

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home