January 27, 2006

Was it my head cold???

Test Strip Slip-up....
I have to fess up to a semi-major whoops I had this week. I just realized today that I didn't code my meter after I opened a new container of test strips.... and I just finished the first 25 test strips this morning... my meter was still coded on 10, and my test strips new code was 22... Grr...

Regardless, I haven't noticed a big range in my blood sugars this week, so I'm not really sure what to think of it!!! I had a major head cold and was very congested and miserable earlier this week, so maybe in the whirl of getting engaged and then getting sick, my diabetes mind shut off and I went into auto pilot... haha hard to say I guess. Has anyone else ever done something like that?

Pumping Iron...
Even though my wedding won't occur for a year and a half (Summer 2007), I've decided now is the time to finally talk to those nice people at the gym about setting up a weight lifting/strength training program. I'm a cardio queen, I love using the exercises machines and walking outside, but I seem to have a total aversion to lifting weights. I know it will help me to lose weight and get more out of my workouts, but I just haven't gotten in to it yet. I have about 10-15 pounds that I want rid of soon (as in yesterday-impatience strikes again!), so I'm really hoping that I can kick it in gear now that I'm done with my master's and have a wedding to look forward to! Any advice on this from other Type-1s?

In other news....
I went to bed the other night with my blood sugar at 104. I had a piece of string cheese and some sugar free jello and went to bed. Slept like a lamb. Woke up next morning: 256.... Recheck? Why not - 265.... *shit*... I was about to go through my usual beratement of myself, then I remembered the advice I've received through this blog and on discussion boards and I thought back through my evening... I went to bed at 9:30... which was about two and a half hours after I finished dinner, so most likely I was still metabolizing my dinner and I hadn't seen the full effect of my evening meal on my blood sugar yet. Also, I had a head cold, which hadn't really given me any questionable numbers until that one ... But regardless, it's annoying! I really can't wait to get a CGMS. I think it would answer a lot of questions that I haven't tested enough to answer yet. I know, I should be realistic and just test more, right??? Sounds easy, right?? I know!!! And yet, I still don't do it. Maybe I need to set up an incentive program for myself or something?? I'm constantly amazed at how easily this disease can unearth my faults and numerous imperfections...

Well, I'd better close before I launch into another ramble...!! Thanks for reading - I'll try to be more concise and focused next time!!! ;) Until then - thank you to all of you who congratulated me on my engagement! I'm still on cloud nine :)

1 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

Are you pumping?

The reason I ask is because I've found it to be soooo much easier to exercise intensely on the pump as opposed to MDI. I can turn my basal rate down by 30% to avoid lows instead of needing to snack.

You are totally right though - weights will enhance your workout a lot - especially since the calorie burn continues even after you are done exercising.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home