January 31, 2006

Endo Appt

Tomorrow I have an appt with my endo - time to survey the damage of Christmas, a final master's project, and an engagement on my blood sugar... the dreaded A1C.... haha I know - I'm being melodramatic, but I hate the sense of impending doom that accompanies my A1C tests. I know I'm partially to blame, but my pancreas takes the other part of the blame, which is my only consolation at times like these. As I review my numbers over the past few months, I can venture a guess at what my A1C might be, but I'd rather not throw out figures just yet.

Regardless, I'm actually looking forward to my endo appt. because it will give me the opportunity to talk to him (Dr. C - from now on; I hate "endo".... does anyone else cringe at the sound of that word??? END-o???) about starting on an insulin pump. The insurance paper work has been taken care of, I just need Dr. C's okay and I should be on my merrily pumping way. When I got the call from my Pump Rep, I actually felt excited about something related to diabetes.... I can tell you that those moments are very few and far between for me, so I relished the moment by envisioning myself becoming a model pumper - the picture of pumping at its finest.... (cue harps and sunbeams)... Overall, I'll just be happy if pumping gives me more flexibility, if it lets me feel closer to "normal" once in a while, if it helps me to stop vengeful eating at night (after seeing bad post meal #s).... if it improves my control... well, that will just be the proverbial cherry on top! I still have a lot to learn and vial upon vial of test strips to use up in the process, but I am EXCITED...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kassie said...

Vengeful eating - that rings a bell! I'm high, I'm pissed about it, why not eat something else??!?

Good luck with the transition to the pump.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Good luck!

Everyone raved and raved about the pump and I was still unsure. I've been on it now for 2 weeks and I'm a total convert! It rocks!

And yes waaaaaaay more flexibility... and as for the vengeful eating - correcting the nasty bs is no more than pushing a button or two!

9:47 AM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Ellen,
My previous endo seemed good, but after 3 visits to Dr. C, I can see that she definitely didn't do me any favors by praising my ability to log my blood sugars... She never mentioned testing basals, testing carb/insulin ratios, etc. She casually suggested doing some 3AM tests, but other than that, she pretty much let me handle things on my own and spent 5 or so minutes looking over my logs and commenting on the lows. Dr. C spent over an hour looking at my blood sugars and took a long time explaining to me different calculations he could do to determine why my numbers varied so much. I guess it's better late than never!!! I hope your son is able to find a new doctor that is just as helpful as his current one :)

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home