February 01, 2006

Mid morning melt down

Just had to share my little melt down with you - thought you'd appreciate it...
I had a little treat on the 3rd period students' desks today when they came in - a comic strip that had one of our vocab words in it (I know... corny...!) and a piece of candy. I had a piece of sugar free gum at the one seat because one of my students is a diabetic. When I walked in the room from hall duty, I noticed that someone had taken his piece of gum and replaced it with a piece of candy. Luckily the student with diabetes wasn't there yet, so it wasn't really a big deal to him, but I was so disgusted with his fellow students!!! I said to the kids "How can you be so rude and inconsiderate?? I had gum there for a reason" - and they all just looked at me with blank faces and a few guilty faces. Ugh... the kids were doing group work, so I could kind of sneak to the back to collect myself, but I was so livid... I know i need to keep this in perspective and look at the situation more objectively, but instead I took it as a personal cut.

The student with diabetes eats whatever he wants, and the kids know this and see this all the time, but I just couldn't give him candy knowing that he's diabetic... I know I would appreciate it if someone remembered that I was diabetic and offered me gum instead... ugh...

I had to step outside because I started to cry and didn't want to make a scene, but I"m sure I did anyway!!!

I realize and accept that everyone manages their diabetes differently... I guess it just really upset me because I thought the kids were being really selfish and cruel... in reality, they probably didn't think a thing of it, but it really, really got to me... it was one of those moments when I loathe diabetes and the monster it makes out of me.....

4 Comments:

Blogger Keith said...

LaLa--
I admire your compassion for this D child. It was very considerate of you to bring a special treat for that student.

Are you sure this was a deliberate attempt to sabotage the D student or maybe someone just wanted a piece of gum instead of the candy and made a swap. You're obviously the teacher and know the heart of your students. Most people (especially kids) are clueless that we should be watching every morsel that goes into our oral cavity. Just a thought...

You sound like an awesome teacher!

8:48 PM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Keith,
Thank you for your response to my post! I don't think this was a deliberately cruel act by his fellow students, but I think it was really inconsiderate, and the kids just didn't think about it - they were just thinking about themselves at the time. I appreciate your feedback though - it helps to hear from someone who can be objective!!! I definitely was too emotional to be objective yesterday haha...

Take care
La La

9:01 AM  
Blogger Ellen said...

It's lovely that you are compassionate re your student with diabetes.

You wrote "but I just couldn't give him candy knowing that he's diabetic... " Why not? How many grams of carbohydrates were in the one piece of candy? Does the child take insulin for the carbs consumed? BTW, if the student with diabetes was having a low blood sugar, (s)he would NEED the sugar.

Did you ever ask the student how it feels to get a different treat or snack than the rest of the class? You may want to have a private discussion with the student.

Just another perspective to consider.

3:14 PM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Ellen,
Thank you for your insights on the situation. You make a very good point - why couldn't he have a piece of candy??? Now that I've calmed down, I can see I overreacted about the whole thing and should have talked with the student earlier in the year about things like that. On Friday I played a vocabulary bingo game and used the Necco Conversation hearts as game pieces. The student bolused and enjoyed the candy along with his classmates... *sigh*.... and the teacher now becomes the student... haha... At any rate, I appreciated your comments and your perspective on the situation :)

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home