June 27, 2006

The problems with assuming

I don't think it's a coincidence that assuming begins with a-s-s. Especially when I end up low after working out.

I started the morning at an ok 147. I took the suggested bolus (thanks to my Bolus Wizard) and didn't set a temp basal prior to my workout because I tend to be insulin resistant in the morning and tend to spike after breakfast regardless of what I eat.

So I didn't check before working out. I figured since I was working out an hour after breakfast, I should be okay.

(Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!)

About 30 minutes into my workout I'm feeling "funny" but I plod on another 15 minutes because, in my head, doing 45 minutes is WAY better than 30 minutes of exercise. Obviously when I'm running low, what little common sense I have rapidly vanishes.

So, after 45 minutes of exercise I came back to my fiance's apartment and checked

51

(Idiot!)

So, what have I learned (again) from this experience? Always check. Even if I think I know what my blood sugar is, better safe than being cold and sweaty midway through a workout.

In case you didn't catch it, I feel like a pretty big idiot.

Ugh!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're not an idiot, we learn by our mistakes.

i've made tons of errors since being on my pump, 10 months down the line i am still learning.

you've also got to decide how your body reacts. personally i would not have corrected. i'm really insulin resistant in the morning but that all changes if i work out.

don't call yourself an idot!!!! hope you're felling ok now..

1:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You are definitely not an idiot (sounds like Ren and Stimpy!) Its hard to get it right all the time. I have heard that people check 1/2 way through their work outs a lot - I usually try to check 1-2 hours later because I react slowly - sometimes it takes 10 hours before my workout blood sugar sets in - - yikes! Good luck with it all.

11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home