August 27, 2006

Why I hate the phrase "The truth will set you free"


I’m finding a lot of fault with the phrase “The truth will set you free” after attending the Diabetes EXPO in Pittsburgh yesterday. I stepped on the scales at a BMI station, and the truth didn’t “set me free,” it made me want to throw up all over the med students nice bright, white lab coat. He smiled politely, read my weight (as if I couldn’t see what was starring me in the face), and then recorded it on my note card. Free??? Hardly. I feel more trapped than ever.


I’ve never been one to hop on the scales everyday. Actually, since I’m on a “truth” kick here, I avoid the scale at all costs. I rationalized that I would be able to tell whether I gained or lost weight by how my clothes fit. However, I think I’ve gotten used to how my clothes fit (definitely tighter lately than usual) and spent most of the summer in mesh shorts with comfortable waist bands. I realize the error of my ways here; if I had stepped on the scale recently, I would have seen that my weight was slowly creeping up. I should have known.


So after being terribly disappointed yesterday, I’m trying to figure out where to make changes. I’ve attempted to make changes in the past, and obviously they didn’t do the trick – I just resorted to my old ways. I need to make changes that I can live with. I don’t want to deprive myself – I love eating too much! – and I don’t want to spend 4 hours a day in a gym, so I’m hoping to find a happy medium. My fiancé suggested seeing the trainer at the gym I go to so that he can write up a workout plan for me. He thinks I’ve gotten so used to my workout (60 mins of cardio) that it’s not really helping me much. I agree with him completely (he wanted to get that in writing) and I think I’ve gotten as complacent with my workouts as I have with my diabetes care. I definitely need to shake things up and make some improvements.


I’ll post more about the Diabetes side of the EXPO later on. Right now, the weight issue was heavier (pardon the pun) on my mind.

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

As someone who has struggled with weight related issues, I feel for you. And lucky us, not only do we hve to worry about managing our weight, but our diabetes too. It kind of sucks, huh?

Though I'm far from an expert, what I would suggest is really taking a close-up look at your diet and exercise regimen.

For me diet has always been the hardest component of controlling this disease and, unfortunately, it probably makes the biggest impact on control. Do you see a Registered Dietician or CDE? Perhaps, keeping a food log for a few days and discussing it would help. She may be able to give you good meal ideas or ways that you could eat better. Also, she might be able to help you in improving your current blood sugars. Sometimes getting an outside opinion really helps.

Also, whenyou exercise, are you getting your heart rate up? I know when I first joined my gym, I would work out for about 45 minues each nite. I thought surely this would help me lose weight. Well, I was wrong- I didn't lose any weight. And I was so aggravated!
:(

When I went to see my Endo- he asked me point blank if I was getting my heart rate up and if I felt like I've worked out after I exercised. At that point, I had to say no. I generally walked at a good pace, but I dont think it was enough. So I started challenging myself more, increasing the time I spent working out, and I did start to see results.

I think a few sessions with a trainer might also be helpful... he or she could also give you their opinion on whether your current exerise routine could improve and also make your workouts more interesting.

Hang in there- I know it's a very frustrating issue (believe me), but with a little more effort and determination, I'm sure you will see progress.

10:13 PM  
Blogger yasser said...

in a way it did set you free to look for a change

10:16 PM  
Blogger Jane said...

I empathise big time. I'm glad I'm not the only one whose exercise routine is not resulting in the lbs dropping off.
My experience after a month with the trainer is that lbs lost=0, but muscles are definitely more sculpted. I'm starting to look like a fat, female Charles Atlas. Not really what I was hoping for.

9:56 AM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Andrea,
Thank you for your advice and suggestions! I think my snacking has gotten the best of me. I looked over what I was eating at each meal, and I think it looks pretty well balanced, but my snacks between meals and in the evening are clocking in with the most calories. I definitely need to write down what I eat each day - it keeps me more honest with myself about how much I actually ate!!!

I also need to see the trainer and give my workout a shakeup. I always get my heartrate up, but I think I'm so used to the routine I've been doing that it doesn't effect my body much at all. I'm going to try to make my workouts more challening for the time being until I get to see a trainer.

Jane - thanks for making me laugh with the Charles Atlas comment :) I can definitely empathize as well!

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home