November 07, 2006

5 Randon Things

Thanks for the tag, Kelsey! :) I thought everyone forgot about me!

Okay, folks - here are 5 random things about yours truly

1. Like Kerri, I too have an issue with chewing gum. For example, by 10 AM today I was on my third piece. I guess you could say I'm a chain chewer. Sounds bizarre, I know, but I'm rarely without a piece (or two) in my mouth. On the upside, I always have minty breath, so perhaps there are some benefits to this vice.

2. When I see someone I know in the grocery store (or really anywhere in public), I'll purposely try to avoid the aisles they are in so that I don't have to try to make conversation. Yes, bizarre again, but I think this is a byproduct of my antisocial tendancies. I love people and I'm a very caring person, but I honestly suck at making small talk. My fiance, on the other hand, enjoys conversing with random strangers wherever we go. By the time we leave the grocery store, he's already asked three to four customers about different products they've put in their carts. Last trip to the grocery store, he learned that natural peanut butter is healthier than regular PB (we ended up buying the regular anyway), the deli has the best cold cuts on Wednesday, and the new Chex Mix varites "rock" (direct quote from a teenager who was also picking up a cube of Mountain Dew - ah, the adolescent years...) I figure we're such extreme opposites, we'll end up balancing each other out in the end. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

3. Two nights ago, I randomly tested both of my parent's blood sugars after eating. We were talking about feeling "low" because my dad feels hypoglycemic from time to time, so my mom suggested that I check his blood sugar every so often to see what's going on there. I checked both of them (my dad insisted that she get checked too since she mentioned it) and I realized that I've never done that for them even though I've been diabetic for 5 years. Is that odd? (They were 113, and 115 respectively, lucky loos)

4. I was secretly relieved to learn that Britney Spears filed for divore today from K-Fed. Rest assured: I'm wallowing in personal disdain. And humming "You Drive me crazy..."

5. At every meal, I wait until I am completely finished eating before I drink anything. This practice was drilled in my head during my kindergarten year at a Catholic school. The teacher told us that if we drank anything, it meant that we were done eating, so from then on, I've always eaten what I wanted to eat for the meal before taking a drink. I get a little anxious watching people take sips of water or other beverages throughout their meal. I guess I think my kindergarten teacher is going to appear and swipe away their food for drinking mid-meal. Bizarre... you see the trend here, yes??


On a Side Note:
I saw my podiatrist tonight to have my calluses shaved off, and the nurse who preps my feet before the Dr. comes in always asks me about my "sugar." This time she asked about my A1C and when I told her it was 7.2, her eyes got big and she said, "Oh no - that's not good at all!" I smiled politely, and responded, "My endocrinologist finds it acceptable." She gave a "tsk, tsk" sound and then left the room. Oiy - do we have to educate EVERYONE on diabetes?? Even medical professionals who should KNOW BETTER?? I realize podiatrists probably see their fair share of patients with diabetes complications, so they're probably more cautious about high numbers than others might be, but for pete's sake - must I endure ridicule everywhere??

Rant for the day: Check....

5 Comments:

Blogger Johnboy said...

LaLa,

A few comments:

Someone broke up with me once because she said she hated the way I chew gum. I watched myself in the mirror once and agreed with her. I don't chew it!

That thing about eating and drinking is weird!

OK, there is definitely irony in this A1c comment coming from a podietrist's nurse. Good grief, stick to what you know!!

9:56 AM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Johnboy,

I think I'm a pretty polite chewer - I've watched myself and I seem to keep the gum on the down low.... That's crazy that a girl broke up with you for that!!! Geez...!

Yes - a podiatrist's nurse... good Lord, next thing you know, my mailman will be critiquing my A1C's. Oiy!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Great stuff LaLa!

I'm a chewaholic too. Although I've never lost a woman to my gum chewing habits (Sorry JB!!), I'm sure it annoys the heck out of at least a few of the people I work with. Too bad for them! :-)

And I'd die for an A1C of 7.2. Damn nurse. Shows you what she knows!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

LaLa, I tagged you too! 7.2 isn't a bad a1c, don't be so hard on yourself!

8:10 PM  
Blogger LaLa said...

MileMasterSarah - I'm sorry! I didn't look around enough, evidently, to see how else might have tagged me!!! :) Thanks for thinking of me :)

1:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home