October 09, 2006

I'm my own worst enemy

From yesterday afternoon to the present time, my blood sugars have been nothing less than horrible. And it’s all my fault.


I can’t blame this one on the pump.
Or my faulty pancreas.
Or stress.
Or the alignment of the planets.

Nope.

This has ME written all over it.

So, I guess I associate Sundays with “stuff-your-face-until-you-could-pop,” because I can’t seem to control what I put in my mouth from Sunday afternoon until I go to bed. Perhaps it’s the anxiety I feel about the upcoming week of teaching? This is my 4th year of teaching, though, so you’d think I’d be over that hump by now.

Yesterday morning the man and I went to brunch at IHOP and I thought I chose wisely by ordering an omelet consisting of eggbeaters, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, tomatoes, and a small amount of cheese on the side. I also had an order of wheat toast – it’s a morning staple for me. However, two hours after eating, I was soaring in the upper 200’s, proving that while my order was relatively healthy, it still sat in my stomach for quite a while and played chicken with the insulin that I sent in at mealtime. I corrected the blood sugar, tinkered around the man’s apartment for a while, and then we went on a walk for an hour. After the walk I am famished – I’m ready to eat anything not nailed down. I ring in at 140 and begin preparing dinner. The man has ordered what is, in my opinion, the best meal in the world (when you’re PMSing and starving) : toasted cheese sandwiches with tomato soup. As Rachel Ray says, “YUMMO!” It was delightful, but I did a shoddy job of counting carbs and rang in at 314 around 8:15.

Now the normal person (IE: not me!) would have given a correction bolus, drank water, and retested in an hour or so. What do I do??? I bolus for a snack – since I evidently didn’t get my fill of fat/junk at dinner, and raise my basal so that I don’t fly into the outskirts of “Oh Sh*t That’s High” later on.

I go to bed without testing because (in my ultimate wisdom) I figure I don’t really want to see the effect my snack had on me. I toss and turn for a good hour before I finally get up and test my blood sugar.

60. Piss! I (over)treat and go back to bed.

I wake up at 5:30 and, of course, I’m high: 341.


I give a correction, shower, and then change my pump site.

Before I leave for work, I’m 275, so I tell myself I’ll hold off on breakfast because I’ll certainly be down a bit more by the time I’m at work and have started preparing for the day.

Once at work: 250. Whoopdedoo… I eat anyway – so much for waiting, right?? At this point, I really don’t care. I realize I’m to blame for the crappy numbers; I realize that it’s my own fault that I feel like a certifiable piece of poop right now.

I can’t blame anyone but myself, but hopefully I can learn from this.

Or even better, maybe this entry made YOU, dear reader, feel better about your blood sugars for a moment or two……

See – everybody wins

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds so much like me it's scary. I also have this thing on sundays where I eat like all day, such horrible nasty junk then detox all day monday.

hope the sugars settle, mine have after my sunday blow out.

10:24 AM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Well, at least we're both in the same boat Choco! "Detox" is a great word for what this feels like...! haha Ugh....

10:27 AM  
Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Detox? I like that!

I don't know what exactly it is, but when my BG's are high, all I can think about is eating.

I really think that it has everything to do with feeling lethargic and sluggish, and the brain is doing its best to convince you to have some kind of "feel good" stuff to eat. Ahhh - those temporary endorphins are so frickin' powerful aren't they!!

11:46 AM  
Blogger George said...

I swear, yesterday my food intake and bolusing seemed like a montage from a movie happening in real time!

I must have gained 20 pounds. I also did the up and down BG game and awoke at 230. Lovely.

You are not alone.

2:22 PM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Thanks for the support, Scott and George. It's nice to know I'm not alone! My blood sugar finally came down from the 200's this afternoon, but I've already used more units of insulin up to this point than I typically use in an entire day. How frustrating!!!

3:04 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I have gone through this countless times, and most recently I did this ALL OF LAST WEEK!! You are not alone. You can only starve yourself with high sugars faking the “good diabetic” crap for so long. Sometimes you just don’t get stuff figured out right. Yesterday, I was at 62 in the late afternoon. I decided that I wanted a MONSTER sugar cookie with additional frosting slathered on. I figured 50 carbs and bolussed for thirty since I was already lower. Well, 2 hours later Im 234, and three hours later I’m 305. I spent the rest of the night bringin that baby down! My tummy hurt though so I wasn’t all that tempted to eat anymore.

4:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I have gone through this countless times, and most recently I did this ALL OF LAST WEEK!! You are not alone. You can only starve yourself with high sugars faking the “good diabetic” crap for so long. Sometimes you just don’t get stuff figured out right. Yesterday, I was at 62 in the late afternoon. I decided that I wanted a MONSTER sugar cookie with additional frosting slathered on. I figured 50 carbs and bolussed for thirty since I was already lower. Well, 2 hours later Im 234, and three hours later I’m 305. I spent the rest of the night bringin that baby down! My tummy hurt though so I wasn’t all that tempted to eat anymore.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home