September 15, 2006

Happiness agrees with me

After having periods of stress wreak havoc on my blood sugar, it became obvious that stress=crazy/high blood sugars. Now that things have calmed down, it's nice to reflect on how good my blood sugars can be when I'm not stressed.

Alas: Happiness agrees with me.
-- My blood sugars are more predictable. If my post meal bs is 150, it does not skyrocket to 250+ for no reason, nor does it plummet to the depths of 50 and below, seemingly just to piss me off.

-- If I do go high after a meal, I can correct it and it comes down beautifully. It doesn't stay high and cause WTF moments for the rest of the day.

-- I use less insulin - my TDD goes down on happy days. I have proof. And additional insulin.

-- I swear less. I try to avoid dropping bombs on here, but in the "real world," especially during stress, I find the F word ( as well as the S word, the D word and a few others that I"ll not mention) sprinkled in various conversations both in and outside of my head. Definitely not for the faint of heart.

-- I don't feel like eating everything not nailed down. I've also put away my duct tape.

-- I can think clearly - no foggy brain from high blood sugars or stress induced headaches.

-- I find myself smiling, for no reason whatsoever. May sound weird - but this is the normal side of me. I haven't found myself smiling for no reason in a looooooong time.

-- I can deal with copious amounts of work. I make lists. I make piles. I sit and grade papers for more than 2 minutes without nervously getting up to do something else (like getting up to find food or something to munch on.)

So, dear reader, may your highs today be emotional highs. It does a body good.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Very good to hear! I know that stress can just drive me through the roof.

It's so hard to get a handle on too! If we could put a number on it we might be able to correct for it - but how the heck do you quantify stress?

Glad to hear you're back on happy street!

12:13 AM  
Blogger Minnesota Nice said...

Beautifully put.
I still have a card taped to my mirror from months ago that sayd "I have decided to be happy because it's good for one's health".

7:03 PM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Scott - that's so true; I wish I could have a sliding scale for my stress level that I could factor into my carb:insulin ration. I guess it'd probably be something like:

(Stress level + carbs): insulin

Oiy - like we need more numbers to deal with each day...!


MNice - That quote really rings true for me; I need to become more laid back and happy for my health, both mental and physical. I think this is going to be a hard lesson learned though. In the midst of stress, I'm sometimes grappling for an ounce of optimism and happiness. It's a ll a mind game, though, and I'm hoping that I can train myself to de-stress by thinking about the rollercoaster I ride when I let myself get stressed...! By the way, I love your blog! I've been meaning to add it to my Blogroll (and I will do so soon I promise!!).

Thanks for reading guys!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

Amen to that. (Btw, I just love that Alice.)

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home