September 21, 2006

The Appointment

Well, gang, it could have been worse.

He didn't berate me or criticize my A1C. He didn't tell me I was testing too often. He gave me a few suggestions on how I might improve my evening blood sugars, and reviewed my logs. I believe I actually had his full attention the entire time - no interruptions!

He did grab his belly and chuckle when I complained that my weight was up and that I seem to be grazing every evening. We talked a bit about the effect that stress may be having on my eating habits. As I've said in earlier posts, I see a direct correlation! He said that since I seem to have no problems eating well-porportioned breakfast and lunch, my problem with dinner may be that it's the end of my "work day" so to speak, and my stress level is finally waning. However, the built up tension* I've garnered throughout the day is trying to escape, so it's signalling my body to comfort it. Comfort seems to come in the form of food, and only in that form. Therin lies the problem. We talked about meditation and other calming exercises that I could try after dinner to * hopefully* weaken my impulse to graze all evening on anything not nailed down. Part of my problem is that I bring work home every evening. I'm an English teacher - it'd almost feel wrong if I didn't have a stack of essays to grade or a novel to re-read every night. However, I do not want to become the proverbial teacher who teaches class from her desk because she's too large to stand all day!!! Yes, I'm exaggerating, I know, but better to nix this problem early on than to have it following me around (grr - especially in the area of my butt and thighs) the rest of my life.

I appreciate the supportive comments! I also called the office of the endo I hope to be seeing in the future, and they finally received my medical info from Dr. C's office. However, I probably won't be able to be seen until December or January. Oiy. Lucky for me, Dr. C offered to continue seeing me until the new endo could fit me in. Is it just me, or is it terribly ironic that NOW he decides to be helpful?

*I shared this convo with my fiance last night, who replied with "Hon, what do you have to be stressed about?" - which I thought he was implying that as a teacher, why should I be stressed about anything? I was on that one like white on rice, folks; the poor guy didn't stand a chance. I replied, "Well, probably nothing; I probably have nothing I should ever be stressed out about" in a tone that dripped with sarcasm. He backpeddled a bit and we finally reconciled that I do have things to stress about, but he is more the "why worry about it" type, while I am the "oh shit, my worldisfallingapartI'msobusyThisisnevergoingtoend" type. Yes, we're quite a pair.

If you're still reading, I thank you. I'll try to give you the cliff notes version of my rants next time around :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

That's great news!

It is very ironic that he decides to be helpful now. Maybe he's feeling guilty...

I too am an "after work eat everything" eater. It's like I can keep myself in pretty good shape through the day, but as soon as I get home I lose all willpower.

That results in many LADCS boluses.

This is a big problem for me, because I'll either wake up high from being sloppy the night before, OR have a nightime low that I over treat, resulting in another high in the morning.

I fight and fight and fight with this, but continue to eat bad once I get home.

Maybe we can figure this one out together!

I got such a chuckle out of your footnote talking about the different personalities of you & your guy! :-)

Take care!

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you keep ranting, it's good to rant.

and interesting to read.

vic x

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home