February 19, 2006

In limbo... and A weekend away

About a week and a half ago I went to a pump training class - pretty much Pumping 101. I loved it. It was a small class, only 4 other diabetics there with family members, but it was just so nice to be in a room with other diabetics! I guess I tend to feel like I'm the only (type 1) diabetic within a 50 mile radius, regardless of the fact that a woman with type 1 lives a mile away... I got to actually hold a pump, play with the buttons, and talk to other diabetics who either are on the pump or were also interested in going on the pump. I was already gung ho about the pump, but after this class I was gung ho to the nth degree! I felt "pumped" (pardon the horrible excuse for a pun..) and wanted to strap on my pump right then and there. Which leaves me to where I am now... in limbo...

So apparently my insurance has cleared the way for my pump, and now we're just waiting for my doctor to fill out his part of the paperwork. At my last appt (over 2 weeks ago) he said he'd sign the paperwork and said that he thought I'd be really pleased with the control I'd get on the pump. However, the Minimed rep called his office a week ago and a secretary told my pump rep that if they called again, Dr. C would throw the papers away.... I guess pump reps get on the dr's about signing papers?? I don't know - it just deflated my whole mood a bit when my pump rep called and told me that. Now I feel apprehensive to even call the office because it's pretty much in my Dr's hands, and I don't want to aggravate the situation. However, at the same time I'm peeved that my life is in his hands - HE gets to decide when he'll sign the papers... nevermind the fact that I wanted to receive my pump about - oh - 5 minutes after I finally decided that I wanted to pump... Grr... It's frustrating..

~~~~~
I spent part of the weekend with my fiance at his brother and sister in law's place. They're in the process of moving from a small house to a new, slightly larger house and needed help packing and getting the new place in livable shape. It's so strange how quickly I take for granted how conscientious my fiance is of my diet choices. In the morning, his sister in law didn't have much for breakfast food other than cereals (which wreak havoc on my bs - so I avoid them) and some plain white bread. My fiance knows I don't eat either one, so he took me to McDonalds so that I could get something that I could actually eat and enjoy without fear of being skyrocketed to the 2 and 300's. What really touches me is that he doesn't even ask me anymore if I can eat the cereal or the white toast - he just knows. (BTW - got a delicious yogurt parfait and apple slices at McDonalds for the stellar price of $2.00!!! ) For lunch, his sister in law ordered pizza, and rather than chow down with the whole clan of starving movers, my fiance takes me to a restaurant so I can get something healthier. Once again - didn't even ask if I could manage a slice of pizza just once - he just knew that I would prefer eating something else and didn't make a big deal of it. That may not seem like much, but to me it means that I've finally found someone who wants what's best for me and my health.

3 Comments:

Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

Seems like a great boyfriend.

I got a little ansy waiting for my son's endo. to fill out the paperwork. But, now the pump is here and I'm waiting again for her to fill out the paperwork, so we can go to pump training and get hooked up to the pump. I'm just so ready to get started. But, I keep telling myself it won't be as long as it has been.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Keith said...

Laura--
You will love the pump, even more when you actually get to start using it! I feel so good most days I have to remember I'm diabetic.

Sounds like you've got a great boyfiend. What a wonderful way to start your life together.

7:42 AM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Penny - Thank you - he is an amazing person :)

I finally got a hold of my endo's office and it turns out he was waiting for me to email him more blood sugar logs because the insurance company wants at minimum 6 month record of the changes my Dr. has made to my bs management. I'll be sending those logs to him today, so hopefully that will get things moving in the right direction!!!

Keith - I think I'll love the pump too, especially after waiting this long (it seems like FOREVER) to get it!!! haha It's really encouraging to hear that the pump makes you forget you're diabetic. That would be quite a blessing for me!!! :)

Thanks for reading guys :)

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home