February 22, 2006

Weighed down

I'm in a constant battle with myself and my body over my weight. I'm at a healthy weight and BMI, but I just know that I'd feel better if I lost about 10-15 pounds.

The problem? I love to eat. I think about eating a lot - we're talking almost every hour of the day. I eat even when I'm not hungry.

I've tried to blame it on stress, my insulin, my blood sugar management... but to be honest I think it all comes down to control. When I was first diagnosed I weighed and measured every bite I ate. I never stuffed myself; always felt satisfied and had tons of energy. Right now I'm at the opposite end of that spectrum. Perhaps my die hard discipline wore me out?? I think I got tired of only eating what was 100% healthy and blood sugar friendly. I think I wanted to feel normal and in my efforts to achieve normalcy, I've also added an inch or two to my hips, thighs, and other unfortunate places. So here's my problem - how do I find that happy medium? I have brief 3-4 day stretches of self control where I return to that disciplined eater but then I get a craving for peanut butter and have a bit more than the suggested 2 tbsp serving... or I feel like having seconds at dinner... or I feel like having snack before bed... The most frustrating part is that I don't eat junk food!!! I eat very healthy, well balanced meals... just not in the right portions, I suppose...

I realize that there isn't really a magic wand that will make my problems go away. I realize that I need to take control over my eating if I ever want to see changes. I realize all this, and yet I'm still sitting here, typing away, feeling sorry for myself.... how pitiful.... !!!! Ugh...

Maybe I should take advice from Lemonade Life's blog...

I WILL take control of my eating...
I WILL take control of my eating...
I WILL take control of my eating...
I WILL take control of my eating...
I WILL take control of my eating...
I WILL take control of my eating...
I WILL take control of my eating...
I WILL take control of my eating...

.... hey, it's worth a shot!!! haha

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelsey said...

Here's what's working well for me: I look at the day as a whole. If I want to eat an unhealthly lunch (say a cheese enchilada.. my favorite!) I will have a real light dinner (and then not have the enchiladas for awhile). It's all about moderation over the day, or the week. Even if you have a bad day, don't be upset, just lighten up the next day.

We beat ourselves up for anything that's not "perfectly" diabetic friendly and low on calories, but sometimes you just need to EAT! Finding balance doesn't mean eating the same way everyday.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

I hope the power of positive thinking works for you I didn't get sick this week, so I think that means something about our little affirmations!

1:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home