March 15, 2006

Oatmeal test

I finally broke down and tried Dr. C's oatmeal test to gauge my insulin needs at meals. His theory is that if you eat a packet of oatmeal, which is supposedly weighed and contains X number of carbs, you can get a clear picture of how much insulin is required to cover X amount of carbs.

My immediate thought when he mentioned oatmeal was the nasty post-meal blood sugars I've always gotten from cereal, oatmeal, and oatbran. However, he's the doctor, I'm the patient, so I tried it out this mornning and here are the results thus far:
6:15 - bs: 40 carbs: 44 bolus: 3 (1/15 ratio) plus 1 unit of correction
7:30 - bs: 286 bolus: 2 units of correction
8:30 - bs: 168

I'm going to keep testing on the hour until lunch, but I probably skewed my results by giving myself a correction bolus at 7:30. I just hate to see #'s above 286 and to do nothing about it seems insane!

There are certain factors that may be effecting this post meal BS bounce to the NetherRegions of OH GOD THAT'S HIGH:
- stress (mucho stress lately)
- high glycemic value of oatmeal
- stress
- lack of sleep (due to stress)
- did I mention stress??

I need to get the stress factor under control, but lately I feel overwhelmed and feel that I'm failing miserably at everything - losing weight, controlling my blood sugars, being a good teacher, being a good fiance, being a good daughter, being a good friend... My mom says that I'm being too hard on myself, but I don't feel that I'm being too hard, I just feel like I"m not handling things as well as I could be. I just feel overwhelmed by life right now, I suppose, as trite and weak as that may sound.

I don't know what is right when it comes to choosing a church for my wedding. I'm Protestant and I've been actively involved in my church my entire life; he's Catholic and has to be married in a Catholic church to remain Catholic. However, I don't want to have to promise before God and everyone that our children will be raised Catholic because I honestly don't think we're ready to make that kind of a decision yet - what if we decide to become Methodists? Or Lutheran? Ugh... I know religion is a sensitive issue with many, so I don't want to offend anyone or speak against anyone's religion. My main issue is that we have to pick a church and one of us is going to have to deal with the upset... and it's looking like it's going to be me... I've thought about having two ceremonies so that we could each be married in our own churches by our own ministers, but does that seem ridiculous?? Does that seem unreasonable? I don't know... I just know that it's only adding to the overwhelmedness (yes, I made that up) I'm dealing with right now.

Anyway - back to the oatmeal: I'm going to try it for at least 3 more breakfasts to see how the numbers pan out. I'll ship those babies off to Dr. C. and let him do the calculating from there - that's what he gets paid the big bucks for. That... and for putting up with patients like me... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home