March 21, 2006

Ratios

I think it's incredibly cruel that someone like myself - definitely NOT math minded - should get diabetes. This ratio crap is driving me insane. Actually, all of the math involved with diabetes drives me insane. And it's probably because I can't do it in my head right now and can't figure things out quickly - it's taking time, and I'm learning that while I am extremely patient with my students, I have ZERO patience with myself. My mom also tells me I'm very hard on myself, but of course I disagree.... hm...

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what my carb/insulin ratio really should be. I've been using 1:15 ever since I was diagnosed and never really thought twice about it. I liked the safety of 1:15. It's fairly easy for me to eat 15, 30, 45 carbs - I actually try to eat precisely 15, 30 etc... However, as my latest HBA1C results have shown, something's not jiving and I need to figure out what's wrong before I start pumping. I think this is why Dr. C is delaying giving me the pump. It makes sense now, but I'm still reserving the right to be "13 Shades of Pissed Off" . Did I mention I'm stubborn too?

My mom review my logs, which are getting more descriptive and detailed by the day, and suggested I try 1:25 - I balked and acted like she was insane. In short, I was a bitch. Then I calmed down. I tried it yesterday and while it seemed to work in the AM before my workout, it didn't work well at lunch or at dinner. I'm going to try it again another day or two and see the numbers look, but I don't think 1:25 or 1:20 is right for me. And, of course, this could depend on the time of day, the food, the stress level at that time, the alignment of the planets, and number of hairs my neighbor's cat. I'm also a real smart ass.... can you believe someone wants to marry me??? I know - I'm amazed too!!!

The quest for the correct ratio continues, but as it does, hopefully I'll control my temper, be nice to those who offer advice, be open minded to advice and ideas, and keep smart ass comments to myself. This is asking a lot of a person who hates math.

7 Comments:

Blogger Scott K. Johnson said...

Oh man, I feel you on this one. I HATE math - with a passion. And I do really think it comes from diabetes. Having to count and calculate every damn thing. Ugh.

Here's another thing to throw into the mix. You can have different insulin/carb ratios for different times of the day.

Yeah. Makes me feel good too.

Not!!

It all comes down to a shitload of testing and paying attention to things, and getting as close as you can to being figured out.

No, I'm not there yet either.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Caro said...

Oh yes, I hate the mental arithmetic too! This is why I have had the best control of my life (A1cs in the fives!) since I switched from a regular pump to a "Smart" Pump. The beauty of "Smart" Pumps is that they really are smart. You input the numbers, they do the math!

I have to admit that I'm not sure I understand Dr. C holding off on the pump. You may get everything figured out now and then find, as I did, that it has no relevance once pumping. It is also much easier to work out ratios, because once your basals are correct you know the only insulin working is your bolus.

Oh yeah... and then there is the pump doing the math thing!

Caro
(www.diabetes-wise.net)

10:22 AM  
Blogger LaLa said...

Scott - I'm glad someone shares my loathing of math! haha

I think I get bogged down by the constant testing and refiguring of numbers. I wish I could just take x amount at each meal, no matter what, and have good control, but I realize that's just a fantasy!!! Oh well...


Caro - That's part of the reason why I'm so excited/anxious to get the pump!! It does the math!!!! When I'm hungry, tired, or distracted (which is most of the time), my logical brain neurons seem to be MIA. I definitely think I'd benefit from this feature of the pump.

Also, I love that the pump can give more precise doses. I think those little doses would make a big difference in my overall control.

I'm faxing Dr. C a week's worth of Smart charts (what I keep my bs logs on) so that he can do his magic with my numbers and enlighten me with his findings!!!

:)

3:06 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

This is precisely why Brendon will never be able to say "Why do I need Algebra for? It's useless" when he's older.

Here's an equation I've gotten from the Cozmo manual:

Divide 500 by the total daily dose (this includes bolus and basals).

Example:

500 divided by 38=13.1 (round down to 13.

So the insulin to carb ratio would be 1:13.

That's the simple one. Go to cozmore.com to see if you can download their manual to get a more in depth version especially if you need different ratios for different meals.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

My ratio is 1:15. Sometimes I think it's a little high and use 1:20 and other times it's an exact science. It drives me nuts.

I hate math, never been good at it. So in a way, at least i'm a bit more "with the numbers" now!!

Woohoo

8:53 AM  
Blogger BetterCell said...

LaLa.....When I was on the Insulin Pump, my Insulin to Carb ratio was 1:7......It is different for everyone. Which obviously shows you that all of us have different bodies and lifestyles. In my experience, I found that the BEST healthcare professional in helping with the Pump, was a Certified Diabetes Educator.

9:40 PM  
Blogger BetterCell said...

LaLa.....When I was on the Insulin Pump, my Insulin to Carb ratio was 1:7......It is different for everyone. Which obviously shows you that all of us have different bodies and lifestyles. In my experience, I found that the BEST healthcare professional in helping with the Pump, was a Certified Diabetes Educator.

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home