April 28, 2006

So there IS another diabetic within a 50 mile radius....

A couple of days ago my fiance was completing an application for a manager position at a company in my town. He was asking about insurance coverage and prescriptions plans, explaining that his fiance (me :) ) was diabetic and that I might need to be on his insurance if we move and I can't find a full time teaching position right away. Well, the human resources lady introduced him to an employee who is Type 1 and who uses a pump!!! YAY!!!

The employee, Kelly, was very nice and informative, and she wants to meet up with me and go to MiniMed meetings with me! Double Yay!!! We've already emailed each other back and forth a few times, and we're planning to get together in the upcoming weeks at a Mini Med Pump Club meeting. She's around my age and she was diagnosed 13 years ago, so she definitely has more experience behind her belt than I do.

I think I've said this before, but ever since I was diagnosed, I've felt like I was the only diabetic within a 50 mile radius of my home town. There are a lot of Type 2's around, but I really didn't know of many Type 1's in my area. I'm very excited to meet Kelly and to talk to another diabetic face to face. It's not that I don't get a lot from the blogs and the message boards, I truly gain so much knowledge and encouragement from both, but I'm really, really looking forward to talking in person about the issues that I read and write about all the time.

Anyway, that's my "High" for the day :) Happy Friday!

2 Comments:

Blogger Major Bedhead said...

It's great meeting other people face to face who get it. You don't have to explain anything, you don't have to see that glazed over look, they just know and accept and get it. It's fantastic - like falling into bed after a tough day.

8:38 PM  
Blogger Johnboy said...

I am going to make a deliberate attempt to find and organize t1 diabetics in my area. Hopefully there are others within a 50-mile radius of me!

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home